06 March 2011

The Consolation Prize

"The Nightingale and Other Short Fables" lauded at lunch as "sublime, magical, and transformative" with comparison to early Julie Taymor's wonderfully creative  use of music, lighting,

and  puppetry...  I rush home after my afternoon appointment and awake from a power nap just in time to stand on the cancellation line of a sold out show...Only two performances left!  Having claimed the last available seat on a cushion, I sit cross legged eagerly awaiting a puppet show. It wasn't until a dialog about candles brought Geoffrey Rush on stage did I realize I was in the wrong theatre...at that moment Geoffrey Rush made clear and direct eye contact and had me completely enthralled the remainder of the evening. To be practically on the stage with actors who have such beautiful command of as fantastic a production as "The Diary of a Madman" truly makes one believe in Wow!  It's not often the consolation is as good as, if not better than a highly anticipated prize.



Belvoir's Production of "The Diary of a Madman"

Geoffrey Rush and Yael Stone

BAM Harvey Theatre

Through March 12, 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment